Solemn group of monuments inaugurated on December 7th of 1900. Since then it honours the memory of two brave Cuban warriors, Antonio Maceo Grajales and Panchito Gómez Toro. There, a blunt column rises in the same place where both patriots were buried for the first time. This pantheon was built with money from a public collection, and on that same date a park was built that surrounds the column. Forty three years later the present day memorial was built, a work of the Cuban sculptor Teodoro Ramos Blanco.
This is a site of patriotic pilgrimage, political acts and student graduations. It extends over an area of approximately two square kilometres, and there also rest the remains of Blas Roca (1908-1987), an outstanding Cuban political figure, as well as the remains of Juan Fajardo Vega (1882-1990), who was the last to pass away among the Mambi troops that fought for Cuba’s freedom in the last days of the XIX century.
For more information: