AMERICAS HOUSE (CASA DE LAS AMERICAS)
One of the institutions of prestige, it is located in the intersection of G and 3rd Avenues in the neighbourhood of Vedado in Havana City. It was opened in 1959 by Haydee SantamarŪa, one of the two women that took part in the attack on the Moncada Garrison (Cuartel Moncada) on July 26th of 1953.
The present day House is presided over by Roberto FernŠndez Retamar and due to the incessant effort of many people, here the work of writers, painters, musicians, playwrights, and scholars of literature and the arts, is made public, researched and awarded.
The building features the characteristics of a temple, and it acts like one, for over four decades it has been a refuge of the best literature, art and music of Latin America and the Caribbean. Its prestigious House Award (Premio Casa) bathed in the limelight many of todayís most successful writers in the area.
For more information: