On June 12th of 1554, it was founded as the Town of the Indians (Pueblo de Indios) and a year later, for the space of six months, it became the temporal capital of the island due to the attack of the French corsair Jacques de Sores. Today there are buildings related to history, among them the ancient Lyceum (Liceo Artístico y Literario), where José Martí made his first public speech in Cuba, and the Temple of Potosi (Ermita del Potosí), an ancient architectural jewel of the period. It became the Villa of Our Lady of Asuncion of Guanabacoa (Villa de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción de Guanabacoa) on August 14th 1743.
It is also known as the Villa of Pepe Antonio, and is the second municipality in territorial extension in the province of Havana City. It features deep religious roots, both catholic as well as those from African origin, and it treasures its historical quarters which were declared a National Monument in 1990.
For more information: