Also known as the City of the Rooster (Ciudad del Gallo), it is the closest settlement to the isles of the King’s Gardens (Jardines del Rey) and Turiguanó, a Dutch settlement founded in the sixties decade of the XIX century, and the lagoon of La Redonda (45 square kilometres) where there is an international fishing centre. These are places the visitor must see in the province.
It features the remains of the Trocha fortresses from Júcaro to Morón, which were used by the Spanish in order to divide the island during the War of Independence, trying to avoid the insurrection fighting for Cuba’s freedom spreading to the west.
In the local museum, there is an exhibit of archaeological pieces found in 1947. Near the city is the famous Milk Lagoon (Laguna de la Leche) that harbours wild fauna. Its milk like colour is due to deposits of sodium carbonate.
For more information: