It was the main campsite of Mayor General Calixto García, Head of the Eastern Department, due to its security and natural characteristics.
Over half a century later, during the struggle of the Rebel Army (Ejército Rebelde), the forces of Column #1 José Martí led by Commander in Chief Fidel Castro Ruz installed their main camp here.
From this strategic place, Fidel Castro directed his military operations that began in December of 1958 at the towns of Jiguaní, Baire, Maffo and Palma Soriano, strategic sites in the struggle for the final victory.
The National Monument Commission (Comisión Nacional de Monumentos) declared it a National Monument on December 25th of 1979.
For more information: