NORMAL SCHOOL FOR TEACHERS
(ESCUELA NORMAL PARA MAESTROS)
It has been declared a National Monument since 1997. It was built at the beginning of the XX century with donations from the American state of Massachusetts and funds from the Cuban state.
The first Model School (Escuela Modelo) for grade students was located here, and later in 1916 the Eastern Normal School (Escuela Normal de Oriente). It teachers were made up of famous personalities of Cuban culture such as Max Henríquez Ureña, Francisco Henríquez Carvajal and Rodolfo Hernández Giro.
According to documents of the times, there is proof that in 1930 the Spanish poet Federico García Lorca visited this school. In this centre, many revolutionaries from Santiago de Cuba carried out their studies here, and later on gave up their lives in different patriotic events.
For more information: