MUNICIPAL HISTORICAL ARCHIVES (ARCHIVO HISTÓRICO MUNICIPAL) (Vivac)
Exactly in 1515 the Church of Santa Catalina (Iglesia Santa Catalina) was built here, and in 1522 it became the headquarters of the first Cathedral of Cuba, which was destroyed in 1828 by an earthquake, leaving a deserted landscape. Later on, a public jail was built and opened on November 17th of 1845.
In its cells many patriots, personalities and revolutionaries suffered imprisonment here, among them Emilio Bacardí, Perucho Figueredo and the English painter Walter Wordman, as well as a group of attackers of the Moncada Garrison (Cuartel Moncada) such as Fidel and Raúl Castro, Juan Almeida Bosque and Haydeé Santamaría.
Today the building houses the Office of Historical Archives of the City’s Preserver (Archivo Histórico de la Oficina del Conservador de la Ciudad) where many valuable documents have been deposited since 1664. It was declared a National Monument on July 20th of 1999.
For more information: