IGLESIA DEL CARMEN (CHURCH OF CARMEN) AND SURROUNDING AREA
Declared a National Monument on December 11th of 1991. Located in the Plaza del Carmen along the Máximo Gómez street between San Pablo and Conyedo. The founding of the city took place on July 15th of 1689, right next to this site.
Close to Arroyo de la Sabana, today called river Belico (río Bélico), the priest Fray Salvador Guillén offered the first mass. Years later, in the place where the Temple of Carmen (Ermita del Carmen) had stood, a tamarind tree was planted and in 1951 a monument was built in honour of this first mass.
There are several plaques in the park that honour important events, as well as busts and monuments, among them, the one dedicated to Captain Roberto Rodríguez, El Vaquerito.
For more information: