LA DOMINICA BUILDING
Built in 1849 it is located in the Plaza of Cristóbal Colón, where the city of Cardenas was founded and also its political, administrative and cultural centre, very near Varadero Beach.
This building has had several social uses and has witnessed several historical events, some of the most notable being the lodging of the generals of the Mambi army: Máximo Gómez Báez, Antonio Maceo Grajales and Domingo Méndez Capote.
When the city was taken on May 19th of 1850, by the troops of the Venezuelan General Narciso López, there was an exceptional moment in which, for the first time in history, the Cuban flag was raised.
Due to its wealth of historical merits, this building was named a National Monument.
For more information: